Thailand – Laos Border Crossing By Car Or Motorcycle

In this article, I will guide you through the steps and the documents needed for crossing into Laos via Thai-Laos Friendship bridge 1 at Nong Khai. However, this would be also generally applicable for all Laos Border crossing overland by motorcycle/car and I’ll share based on my personal experience.

Important Note: It seems, from March 2017, they seem to have dusted off the old rule book & no foreign motorcycle less than 250cc can cross into Laos. Laos border crossing rules changes from time to time and no one knows about it until someone has been denied entry. I had luck accessing Laos with my 171CC scooter in March 2017 and 500CC motorcycle (Malaysian registered) in September 2019 via Friendship bridge 1 (Nong Khai). If you’re coming from Malaysia, you can also refer to Malaysia – Thailand Border Crossing.

Required Documents To Drive/Ride Into Laos

National vector fabric wave flags of Laos and Thailand isolated on white background. 1 to 2 proportion.

In a nutshell, you will need;

  1. International Driving Permit (IDP).
  2. Compulsory – Supporting letter from Laos Embassy in your home country (i.e. Malaysia).
  3. Third-party Lao Insurance for a vehicle. (Get it at the border)
  4. Temporary Imported Passenger Vehicle form.
  5. Original Vehicle registration card (Grant / VOC).
  6. The passport is valid for 6 months at least.
  7. Copy of your road tax (if any) – Ensure it is not expired.
  8. Visa – (Not needed for countries that have been exempted).
  9. Immigration form (Arrival Card).
  10. THB 500 Escort fee on Friendship bridge crossing. (This varies at some border crossings and I didn’t have to pay when I crossed via Friendship bridge 1)

Preparation from Home Country:

Write a permission request letter with your details (Sample) and hand it over by hand to;

Embassy of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic to Malaysia

Address: No. 7, Jalan Mesra, Off Jalan Damai, 55000 Kuala Lumpur.
Google Map
Tel: +603 21487059

a. You need to attach copies of your Passport, Vehicle registration, Identification Card and International Driving Permit/License.

b. You will need to pay RM 100.00 which they will provide you with an official receipt and you will get the supporting letter (Sample) within 3 working days.

Border Crossing (Thai Side)

Thailand - Laos Border Crossing By Car Or Motorcycle
  • Stamp your Passport at the immigration counter.
  • Return your Thai TM2 (with TM3 if you have a passenger) form(s) to the Immigration officer.
  • Return your Vehicle’s custom simplified vehicle import form that you got when you first get into Thailand. (For Non-Thai Registered Vehicle)

Border Crossing (Laos Side)

Keep your vehicle on the right side.

laos border complex

For foreign vehicles, just follow the sign and turn right at the border complex.

laos border for foreign vehicle

Now, you will need to get the immigration form (arrival card) from the first counter on your right. (see image below). You can just park your car/motorcycle somewhere here.

At the same counter lane, there is a Kiosk where you need to pay about THB100 (they accept THB) for an entry fee. Get the receipt and keep it with your passport.

payment for foreigner entry

Now go back to the big immigration complex, head to counter A4 and get your passport stamped.

laos border stamp passport

Once you’ve done so, go back foreign vehicle lane and head to Counter B4. Here you will need to pay a fee for your vehicle and register your vehicle in their database. This is where you will need to provide your vehicle registration card and the letter from the Lao embassy.

laos border vehicle registration

Vehicle fee(s) is as per below:

laos border fee

At the same counter (Counter B4), the customs officer will fill up the application form to temporarily import your vehicle and pass it over to you  (form as per below) which you will need to bring it over to Counter # 105.

laos border vehicle registration slip

When you got the form, go to Counter# 105

laos border customs office

This is counter# 105.

laos border custom office

All you need to do is, pass over the application form to the officer in Counter 105 and he/she will sign the form (to approve it).  Bring back the form to Counter B4, and pay the vehicle fee which you will be given a receipt and the actual temporary import form for your vehicle. (green paper)

laos foreign vehicle import form

Finally, bring the temporary vehicle import form (green paper) to Counter B5 for final checking. Once the officer checks on it, he will let you pass into Laos! Do not lose this as you will need to return it when you exit Laos.

laos border final checking on custom form

Exiting Laos

  • Stamp your passport at the Immigration counter.
  • Return the temporary import form for your vehicle (Green paper ) to the customs officer.

Questions & Answers

Do I need Laos third-party insurance for my vehicle?

Yes, you can go to jail without it! Please note, the third-party Lao insurance only covers bodily injury for a small amount and not for the repair works on the vehicle(s).

You can buy Vehicle Insurance at the border complex itself, 50m on the right after the immigration counter at about 60,000 KIP for 14 days of coverage. Just ask around if you can’t find it.

laos third party vehicle insurance
laos third party insurance

Money Changer? Sim Card?

Just after the immigration counter, you can buy a Lao mobile data sim card. I paid about 20,000 kips for 3 days – 5GB of data. The money changer is also just next to the telco counter.

loas border money changer

Do I really need the letter from Embassy?

Well, it depends! I’ve seen those using Thailand-registered vehicle crossing into Laos without the need of providing such document(s) from the embassy. This is because Thailand has a land transport agreement with Laos as their neighbouring country. If your vehicle is not Thai registered,  you must get supporting documents from the Lao Embassy in your home country in advance to avoid any hassle at the border as this was required when I crossed into Laos by my motorcycle.

How long can I ride in Laos?

The period that you can keep your vehicle in Laos varies. Nongkhai/Vientiane border’s custom normally gives 7 days but you can ask for a longer period. Other border crossings often give 30 days – the best is to ask for 30 days on the Lao side.

Do I need an International Driving Permit (IDP) / License?

Yes! The most important for riders to know is that Lao insurance provider does not cover claims if the rider uses a national (non-Lao) driving license. I do own an IDP and this makes me much more confident riding in Laos if you’re Malaysian, you can get it at JPJ’s office for RM 150.

Is there any Insurance that covers vehicle damages?

I’ve spent a lot of time asking insurance companies at the border but they don’t seem to understand English and I could not obtain information on this. If you have any info, please share it with me in the comment box below.

Do I need Travel Insurance?

Having travel insurance is really important and some even choose not to have one but honestly, accidents do happen and they also seem to happen when you least expect it & least need it. Medical bills can cost a fortune abroad and with good travel insurance, you can have peace of mind. so please, if you don’t do it for yourself, do it for your loved ones.

Similar Posts

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments