Preparation is very important especially in getting ready for long distance riding trip. It is ok having a free-spirit, but things do not happen on their own.
So spend a little time before departure in getting all the things in your motorcycle travel checklist ready, look at possible routes, things to see, and places to stay.
A bit of preparation goes a long way to ensuring you make the most of your trip. The checklist below is just for general guidance and you can modify it according to your personal preference.
Essentials : Documents & Money
- Valid passport and any necessary visas.
- Driving License (including International Driving Permit – If needed).
- Original motorcycle Registration Document.
- Copy of motorcycle Insurance documents.
- Breakdown Assistance / Repatriation Cover (if any) Personal travel / medical insurance.
- Currency notes: depending on the country that you’re traveling to.
- A major credit card (Visa or Master card) and/or Debit card activated for overseas withdrawal.
- Touring Map & Guides – To use if GPS has stopped working.
- In Case of Emergency (ICE) Contacts list.
I would recommend that you make good quality or colour photocopies of all of your documents except your credit cards and keep it in waterproof folder.
- Basic pain killers, personal medication and prescription drugs.
- Mini first aid kit.
- Rehydration sachets.
- Sunblock, sunscreen, lip balm etc.
- Water bottle.
Recommended: For the Motorcycle
- Additional Engine / Gear Oil.
- Chain lubricant.
- Industrial tapes – for cracked fairings boxes.
- Motorcycle manual.
- Spare ignition keys.
- Epoxy resin and hardener – in case engine cracked (temporary fix).
- Bicycle loop lock (for optional helmet security).
- Bike security devices (disc locks etc).
- Tyre pressure gauge.
- Cloths absorbent for drying saddles and cleaning the machine (store in zip lock bag).
- Puncture repair kit and/or install tyre sealant.
- Spare fuses & bulbs.
- Spark plugs & wire tape.
- Cable tie down strap.
- Repair tool kit.
Recommended: Personal Comfort
- Riding Gears. (Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, Boots, Knee/Shin guards etc).
- Base layers.
- Latex gloves.
- Spare riding gloves.
- Toiletries (Shampoo, soap etc).
- Snood / neck warmer.
- Socks (2-3 pairs).
- Sandal / Shoes.
- Super-absorbent travel towel.
- Visor & windshield bug cleaner with cloth.
- Universal Travel electric adapter.
- Power bank.
- GoPro or any action camera set.
- Digital Camera.
- Tripod for Camera.
- Walkie-talkie and/or Bluetooth intercom.
- Laptop with charger.
- GPS device with charger and/or GPS app on smartphone.
- A couple of small karabiners and bungee cords.
- Leatherman-type multi-tool or Swiss Army knife.
- Notebook and pen.
- Rucksack/backpack/fanny pack.
- Dictionary and/or Google translator app on smart phone.
- Spare spectacles.
- Zip lock clear plastic bags.
- Dry bags (Waterproof bags).
- Rubber straps (Hook end type).
If you have any other suggestions to improve the list above, drop them at the comment box below and feel free to share this article via the social buttons.