Carnet De Passage (CPD) Malaysia


Carnet De Passage Malaysia – A Carnet De Passage is a document that allows you to cross international borders with a vehicle and avoid paying customs charges. It is basically a promise that you will take the vehicle out of the country when you leave, or risk hefty penalties.

Image Credit: FIA

The carnet lists comprehensive details on your vehicle and its value and can be obtained from the local automobile association in your country. Often, a bank deposit is also needed.

Countries That requires Carnet De Passage

Not all countries require Carnet De Passage but the following do:

Image Credit: Wikipedia

If you would like to have up to date information regarding carnet, please click on the link below.

Carnet de passage updated information

If you’re not applying for Carnet De Passage in Malaysia, please  contact your local Automobile association.

Carnet Cover

Below is the sample – Front cover of the Carnet de passage.

Carnet De Passage Malaysia (CPD)
Carnet De Passage Front Cover

Carnet De Passage Application Requirements

The following information are required for applying Carnet De Passage for  Malaysian registered vehicle:-

1. Authorized letter from the vehicle owner & copy of the owner’s N.R.I.C./ Passport (If the vehicle is not on your name).

2. A photocopy of the vehicle Registration Card and current Insurance Policy

3. A photocopy of the Driving Licence and IDP (International Driving Permit)

4. A photocopy of the I.C. OR Passport

5. Carnet cost RM650.00 per book

6. Carnet deposit will follow the vehicle market value. You can try to negotiate with AAM.

7. Carnet membership form (can be obtained at AAM office or via email)

8. Carnet de passage form (can be obtained at AAM office or via email)


In the past, travelers had to place a huge cash deposit at the custom as a guarantee for not selling the vehicles. Upon exiting the country, the deposit is returned. With the Carnet de Passage, it eliminates the need to lug around so much cash.

It will take them 3 working days to process the Carnet de passage, you can either collect it at their office or ask them to courier it to you.

Automobile Association of Malaysia (AAM) Location

For more and updated information on applying for carnet in Malaysia, you can contact Automobile Association of Malaysia (AAM) at;

225, Block 4, No. 7, Persiaran Sukan
Laman Seri Business Park,
Section 13, 40100 Shah Alam
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia.

GPS Coordinate: 3.092163, 101.543601

Google Map: Automobile Association Malaysia Office

Automobile Association of Malaysia (AAM) Contact

Tel: +6 03-55111932
Fax: +6 03-55113357

Direct Contact AAM person in charge:  Ms Salijah Woo @ +6 019 261 7109

If you have any questions, drop them at the comment box below and feel free to share this article via the social buttons.

20 Responses

  1. Sejju says:

    Hello brother , I am living in Johor Bahru, malaysia….. I would like to visit Thailand Singapore and india by road…do I need CDP for my car?????

  2. veer says:

    hi bro, suppose bike cost rm30k, so carnet deposit will be same or “…

    • Rider Chris says:

      Hi Veer, the carnet deposit usually be somewhere between 80-100% of the bike’s market value. Unfortunately, you can’t apply for a carnet now in Malaysia as they have ceased operation for quite some time now. Hopefully, some other company will come forward to take over and resolve this issue.

  3. Trevor Derrheim says:

    Hi Chris,
    Myself and a friend are looking to ride into Malaysia/Singapore in February from Thailand. Is a Carnet 100% required to get into Malaysia and Singapore, or can it be done without? Thanks!

  4. Livia Kernen says:

    Hi Chris
    Thanks for all the information you are providing on your site. We are currently in KL and waiting for our car to arrive via container. Although we have a Carnet de Passage, we got informed by our agent in the port that customs want a AP (approved Permit) from the Ministry of international trade and industry. Can this be? We never heard about any overland travelers who had to get this – especially when you have a Carnet.
    Thanks a lot!

  5. P.J. says:

    Hi Mr. CHRIS,
    If I get me a Carnet de Passage in Malaysia can I go to Thailand with my malaysian car for a half or one year ?

    • Hi, if you car is registered in Malaysia, you don’t need Carnet De Passage. You can only drive in Thailand with the maximum period of 30 days. You will need to exit and enter back if you want to reset the 30 days.

  6. Sameh Souissi says:

    AAM in malaysia is not operating anymore. any Idea where to get Carnet De Passage in Malaysia. I live in KL and want to travel with my bike overseas

    • Hi, AAM is still operating in Malaysia for Carnet applications and to confirm on this, I’ve just called them few hours ago.

      • Sameh Souissi says:

        Please what’s the number that you called. I’ve been trying for the past few days. Thanks Chris
        I even called Malaysian International Chamber of Commerce And Industry, they could not trace AAM, MICCI only issue ATA carnet. i also tried to call AAM person in charge: Ms Salijah Woo @ 6 019 261 7109. The line is closed. Thanks for helping Chris, i reli need this

      • Hi, You will need to Whatsapp Ms Woo, the line is dedicated for that. Alternatively, you can just for directly to their office in Shah Alam. As I said, they are still providing Carnet service in Malaysia but to get hold of them over the phone is pain! Many will just go to their office to get they CDP sorted.

      • Sameh Souissi says:

        Thank you brother. Hey how about you ride with me to Turkey Next year? Up for challenge?

      • Hi thanks for the offer. As much as I would like to ride with you but I can’t as the cost for Carnet deposit will cost me alot and I can’t afford it. Enjoy your ride and stay safe. Cheers.

  7. Tran Hoang Nhut says:

    Dear Sir/ Madam

    I am Tran Hoang Nhu. I leave at Ho Chi Minh City in Viet Nam.

    I would like to apply about Carnet De Passage in Malaysia (CDP) for my motorbike.

    But I don’t know where will I apply CPD?

    Would you please help me?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *